Venue: Gymkhana club, Sector-25, HUDA, Panipat
Date : 01.10.09
Time : 4.00pm
Purpose: To sensitise cluster firms about policies and procedures for establishing an IICT extension centre at Panipat and to know about the advanced technologies in carpet manufacturing.
Name of the Officials attended
- Shri. K.K.Goswamy, Director, IICT
- Shri. Pandey, Asst. Professor, IICT
- Shri. Jitendra Mallik, President, Haryana Carpet Manufacturers Association (HCMA)
- Shri.Shiv Malhotra, Secretary, Panipat Dyers Association
- Shri. MBK Raju, Cluster Manager, Panipat Floor Coverings
In addition to the above 25 participants have attended the interactive meet which includes Exporters, composite manufacturers, Tufting firms, Dye houses and latex supplier.
Mr. MBKRaju welcomed the participants, explained about the problems faced by the carpet industry in areas of technology, raw material, Quality control and requested the Director to explain about the procedures for setting up of IICT Extension centre at Panipat.
Shri. K.K.Goswamy explained about the facilities / services provided by IICT like
- Professional courses offered regular and correspondence i.e. B.Tech and Diploma courses in carpet making.
- Organising Skill Development Training Programmes
- Design concept development and Design Bank
- Technologies developed in latexing and looms
- He explained in detail about the REACH certification which is mandatory for Germany exports, Occupational safety & Hazards, Waste reduction in the process, modalities for setting up of IICT extension centre.
- He advised the facilitating agency to find out the possibilities of establishing a latexing centre as Common Facility Centre and also explained how the two IICT extension centres in Kashmir and Jaipur were established.
- He explained the following cost reduction measures:
Usage of primary cloth (Non-woven backing material)
Usage of polymer sheet in the process of latexing (to avoid the odour from the carpet and standardize the process)
Marking of care instructions on the usage of carpet to the buyers / Importers
- The Director agreed to provide information of REACH certification, advanced technologies in carpet making and information about the publications on carpet industry. He told that IICT is going to organize two training programmes on home-textiles and on ICT. He also extended his support for organizing training programmes, conducting quality audits, technology demonstrations etc., in the cluster under the Cluster development programme.
- Mr.Jitendra Malik highlighted the need of IICT extension centre in the cluster, the adverse effect of economic recession, consideration of panipat as a special carpet zone, Increase in overheads i.e. usage of generators causing in escalating the carpet price, Sales tax levied in the state only.
Mr.Shivmalhotra, Secretary, Panipat Dyers Association explained about the problems faced by the dye houses, availability of testing facilities for raw and dyed yarn, awareness programme for dyeing units on certifications and training programmes on process standardization.
Mr. Sailesh Jain explained about the procedures followed by the carpet units in preparation of latex formulations and about the importance of the process standardization in the latexing, organizing training programmes for the masters in latexing process to counter the odour and backing problems. He also informed about the odour problems encountered by the Pakistani carpet manufacturers in the latexing process.
Mr.Anil Mittal explained about the problems relating to low productivity i.e. non-availability of skilled manpower, migration of labour, Total cost of advanced latexing automatic plant and advanced technologies / processes available in the tufting / finishing / binding process i.e. electrical tufting guns, scissors, etc.,
The participants are requested facilitating agency to organize awareness programme on Patenting & its procedures and Certifications like REACH, ISO etc., , equipment for odour identification, developing in house testing laboratories with basic equipment, development of testing tools etc.
Mr. MBK Raju thanked the Director, IICT and participants for making the programme successful, explained about the upcoming programmes and also requested similar cooperation for all the future activities.